WCVS header

(Military Injury Relief Fund)

What is MIRF?

The Military Injury Relief Fund (MIRF), created by House Bill 66 in June 2005 and amended by House Bill 153 in July 2011, provide grants to service members injured while serving in theater under Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) or Operation New Dawn.

The intent of the program is partly to help returning injured veterans and their families make ends meet upon a veteran’s return home. MIRF grants have been utilized by veterans and their families in a variety of ways, including when veterans are awaiting VA disability determinations, which can often take time and leave families in a financial bind during that process. Injured veterans’ families have also utilized MIRF grants to help pay for travel and lodging costs while traveling to visit a loved one who has been admitted to a hospital far from his or her hometown or duty station.

Ohioans have a rich and proud history of serving in the Armed Forces. They recognize and appreciate the sacrifices that our veterans have made in serving this country. We proudly salute our veterans, who have served our nation with honor, courage, commitment and sacrifice.

Where does MIRF money come from?

MIRF is funded in two ways:

  1. A check-off box on the Ohio tax form to donate some or all of a refund;
  2. Direct donation by individuals or entities (corporations, organizations, etc.),
How do I apply for a MIRF grant?

***Access application on-line:***

Applications are also available at your county's Veterans Service Office or our office at 1 (888) 296-7541, option 5.

What kinds of injuries qualify me for a MIRF grant?
  1. Qualifying injuries include documentation of the awarding of the “Purple Heart” in accordance with, and pursuant to, applicable federal laws and regulations including, but not limited to, Title 10, Chapter 57 of the United States Code, and Chapter 32 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
  2. Documentation of a combat-related injury along with documentation that the combat related injury resulted in awarding of a Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB), “Combat Action Ribbon” (CAR), or “Combat Action Badge” (CAB) or its equivalent.
  3. Documentation of a combat-related injury not covered by (1) or (2), primarily including, but not limited to, traumatic brain injury, or injury caused by detonation of an improvised explosive device (IED), or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Documentation of PTSD must include medical diagnosis.
What documents are required with the application?

DD 214 (or DD 215) - a copy of the service member's Report of Separation (DD Form 214) is required. If the DD Form 214 is not available, they should contact their local Veterans Service Office for assistance in obtaining a copy or contact the Department of Veterans Services at (614) 644-0898.

If still on active duty, the service member must provide proof of service (i.e., Leave and Earnings Statement, official letter from their Personnel Office, etc.)

Military Activation (or TDY) Orders - For reserve and guard members, a copy of the military orders activating them under Title 10, U.S.C. is required. For active duty members, a copy of the Temporary Duty (TDY) orders is required. The orders must state Operation Iraqi Freedom, Operation Enduring Freedom, or Operation New Dawn.

Proof of Ohio Residency - required for all applications. Service member or veteran must be an Ohio resident at the time of application. Acceptable forms of proof include: copies of Ohio driver's license, utility bill, rental agreement, and officially filed federal or state tax form, military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES), etc.

Power of Attorney - only required for applications submitted on behalf of the service member.

Applications submitted without these documents will be returned to the applicant. Appeals for the award of the Purple Heart may be made through the service member's respective branch of the Armed Forces.